For the past 4 weeks, I have been standing on my digital soapbox sharing my opinion about using iPads In The Classroom and for the most part, response has been good. It certainly hasn’t hurt my ego getting quoted and re tweeted but do we really want to hear about what I think? What about the kids and their thoughts? So this week is a little snip-it from the kids and what they think about iPads In The Classroom Thus Far.
I put 5 questions to the kids which they could choose to answer or not. Most of the kids abstained but the small sample gave me a pretty good idea where we currently stand and where we have to go in the future. Here is a sample of their answers.
Why did you join the iPad class?
- “My handwriting is horrible and I hoped this would allow me to avoid having to hand in assignments done by hand”
- “Because I love to use technology” X 5
- “I thought it would be pretty cool to use technology so ofen and associate the ipad with school and its so awesome that we have this technology available. Also i have a bunch of friends in the cohort.
What do you like about the iPad class?
- “I like how it’s relaxed and done on computers since I can type faster and have freedom to search things on the internet.”
- “I like the fact that I can go on the internet to research n a project and not have to go to the computer lab. I also like the fact that I can access my classmates comments and thoughts when we have a discussion in class “
- “I like the fact that we are actually using a pretty big variety of apps and the teachers are also involved with the ipads.”
- “Doing our assignments online,so that we can finish or hand in it at anytime.”
- “We’re able to get information instantly”
What is bad about the iPad class?
- “The major thing is sometimes it is annoying when you are trying to listen to the teacher and other people are playing on their IPads so the teacher has to stop the lesson to get their attention”
- “Too many people playing games and making the teacher wait.”
- “It is stupid the way we have to hand stuff in!!!”
- “The biggest issue is that there’s are some things that you need to have an app for but one isnt available. Or its too expensive or its not a good app.”
- “We spend a lot of time on technical stuff rather than the real topic.”
- “you can get very distracted, trust me I know”
Is the iPad class different then what you thought it would be?
- “It’s different because I thought we wouldn’t be using things such as twitter because it’s not always the safest thing to have.”
- “It is basically what I expected but the classes seem to move slower than in the regular class.”
- “All the handing in stuff with different apps.”
What should be done to make it better?
- “Maybe make sure that before starting the lesson everybody has their iPad covered or flipped over so their would be no interruptions.”
- “Use only ONE Program to hand things in with!!!”
I have to say, I was surprised by their responses. At least one kid will usually throw me for a loop when I do things like this but there is nothing here that we could not have predicted. What I am most pleased about is that there doesn’t seem to be anything grievously wrong here. It looks as though we only need a few tweaks here and there and get this flippin “handing assignments in” thing figured out. Perhaps the solution to most of our issues would be solved with an Android iOS with Google Docs integration and things would be better?
Anyhow, my wife is sitting on the couch wondering why I am ignoring her on this Friday of a Thanksgiving (Canadian) long weekend so I must depart and enjoy Family, Friends and the gifts I have in the little world I live in.
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.